Welcome back to How-To Saturdays, a weekly feature where I talk and give tips about various bookish things. Today I will be talking about to continue reading. I have done posts in the past about how to get back into reading or why it’s okay not to read, but today I’ll be talking about how to keep your reading momentum going.
It can be really easy to burn out when reading. A lot of times to get out of reading slumps I read a lot of books, and then I get stuck in another slump again. Here are some tips to keep that reading momentum going:
- Read books that you genuinely want to read- If it is something you are interested in, you are much more likely to read it. Read something that is one of your “most anticipated” or something that you have wanted to read for a long time to make sure you keep reading.
- Track your reading- As I said last week, tracking and setting reading goals for yourself can really help you read. To achieve reading goals, it is important to read consistently and they can force you to read with more frequency. It is quite amazing to see how much you actually read whenever you track your books.
- Read reviews of books before you read them- These can not only tell you if you will like the book, but they will also likely give you insight on how long it will take you to read it. If you think it would take to long, maybe try something shorter so you don’t get burnt out.
- Find authors that you like and take their recommendations – If you have read a really good book, and you don’t know what to read next, look up the author and see the books they are promoting. More often than not, they will have similar reading tastes to you (since they wrote a book you like to read), and it can be very useful to find new authors and books that will keep you reading.
- Pace yourself- This is probably one of the most important tips. Sometimes reading can feel overwhelming because it can feel like there are so many good books to read. Know that it’s better to read slow and enjoy something than to read quickly to read more, especially when
- Know that it is okay if you stop reading! Don’t be mad at yourself if you don’t feel like it or can’t concentrate on the book, especially right now. We all have different reading paces and habits, and it is okay to take a break from reading!
I hope those are helpful tips! Also, I got to 50 followers today! Thank you so much to everyone who follows and reads my posts! I really appreciate it.
What do you do to stay reading? Do you get reading slumps often? Let me know in the comments!